Saturday, August 1, 2009

Proper attire required? Apparently not.


Last night, my husband and I went to a local restaurant for dinner. It wasn't quite Morton's, but it wasn't Chili's. The proprietors posted a sign at the front door requiring proper attire. I presumed that most people who would patronize such a restaurant (where dinner for 2 exceeds $100) would honor such a sign. I was WRONG!

I was so surprised by the number of men wearing camo shorts, t-shirts, flip-flops, and ball caps. These weren't just teenagers in such clothing, but adults. One guy was at least 50 - he was wearing a t-shirt that belonged on a college kid, a belt that should have been on a teenager at a skate park, and a hat that didn't belong indoors. It's as if we've all forgotten that we should occasionally break out the long, grown-up pants and shoes with toes before going out.

Don't get me wrong - it wasn't just the men that were dressed inappropriately, but the women, too. Blue jeans, tank tops, and flip-flops, too. This would have been great if we were at the local pub, but we weren't.

Call me old fashioned, but I long for the day when people dressed for the location, the occasion, and their age.

1 comment:

Neal Cornett said...

Unless the proprietor is prepared to force people to leave then they are just dreaming. I have been in restaurants that enforced a dress code.

I don't know if such restaurateurs can survive in the current economy when you can walk a block down the street and eat something similar in your flip-flops.